Past Due Tax Returns
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-18787,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,side_area_uncovered_from_content,qode-theme-ver-12.0.1,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.0.5,vc_non_responsive

Filing Past Due Tax Returns

Filing Past Due Tax Returns

I get approached frequently with requests to reconcile past records and file past due tax returns. Even if you have lost your W2s, 1099s, or other business and personal records due to the passage of time, our team will assist in sorting out your records and help file past due tax returns. There are several methods of obtaining past information from the IRS, such as forms requesting information from prior W2s and 1099s submitted by your employers and account transcripts detailing balances to the IRS. The process is simpler than one would expect and our team will guide you through obtaining the necessary materials to straighten out and file your prior-year taxes without missing details that may lower your tax obligation.

Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Gather as many documents that you can find and copies of any previously filed tax returns
  2. We will send a request to the IRS to obtain all records on file
  3. Use those records to prepare your returns
  4. Your refund is held by the IRS for 3 years. If you do not file a return within 3 years, the refund is withheld by the IRS
  5. Plan Ahead. Once you are back on track, allow us to keep you on track for the future with all tax filing needs


Past due tax returns incur at least two types of penalties: failure to file and failure to pay. It is important to act as early as possible to begin settling any dues to the IRS. We can help estimate potential failure to file and failure to pay penalties that are incurred by clients who have failed to file past years’ returns and can help in getting those returns filed properly.

Don’t hesitate to contact us for a free consultation to see how you can become compliant with the IRS.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.