19 Mar How to register a LLC in New Jersey? We can help!
How to register a LLC in New Jersey
Many people are confused about the steps to register a LLC in New Jersey. Here is an outline of the steps you need to follow in order to register a LLC in New Jersey. If you are unable to complete these steps yourself, please consider our services to register a LLC in New Jersey – starting as low as $299.
- Choose a business name for the Limited Liability Company and check for availability.
- Your business name needs to be unique from other registered businesses in NJ. Check the availability of your desired business name by utilizing the NJ business registry.
- Prepare and file a certificate of formation with the NJ Division of Revenue.
- The Division of Revenue website has all forms required for new business filings on their website, which you can print out and mail in. You can easily file the forms online via the New Jersey Division of Revenue On-line Business Filing and Registration Service.
- Negotiate and execute an operating agreement.
- An operating agreement is not required in order to register a LLC in New Jersey, but executing one is highly advisable. There is no set criteria for the content of an operating agreement, but it typically includes topics such as how meetings are conducted, how the company will be managed, what capital contributions are required from each member, and how profits and losses will be allocated. The operating agreement does not need to be filed with the state.
- File application for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS.
- Register your new LLC for tax purposes with the State, including Sales Tax, Payroll, and Income Tax.
- Open a bank account for your business.
- It is highly advised to keep your business’s finances separate from your personal accounts. A good way to do this early on is by opening a bank account for your business. You will a Tax ID number (EIN) and a copy of the certificate of formation to open a bank account.
Other requirements to register a LLC in New Jersey:
- New Jersey LLCs must file an Annual Report using the New Jersey Division of Revenue On-line Business Filing and Registration Service every year after the company’s date of formation. The filing fee is $50.
- Filing your annual tax returns:
- If you are a single member of the LLC, file Schedule C within your personal tax return (Form 1040)
- For multiple member LLCs, file Form 1065, US Partnership Tax Return
- LLC can elect to be taxed as Corporations – consult your CPA for the best filing method.